The Sacrificial Sports Mom: Staying SANE as a working Mom

For “sports Moms” with very busy schedules, who find it tough to make time for themselves, The Sacrificial Sports Mom promises to help busy, overloaded moms find time for nutrition, fitness and overall well-being by sharing healthy quick recipes, time management tools and fitness programs handpicked for busy moms.

TSSM is backed by the first-hand experience of a crazy busy “sports Mom” to address the need for some sanity in an on-the-go world. We understand the sacrifices that “sports moms” make for their children on a daily basis and strive to make the lives of “sports moms” a little easier.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Staying SANE as a working Mom


A working Mom is a special breed.  We are all things to all people – Mom, wife, employee, boss, taxi driver, housekeeper, chef, you name it, we do it!  But because of all of the roles we play (sometimes multiple roles at once, like working from home when your kid is sick) we have a lot to get done and last time I checked a day was only 24 hours long.  So I have come up with some strategies that work for me to keep my workweek somewhat tolerable ;)  Below are my tips on how to stay sane as a working Mom.

1 – Wake up 30 minutes earlier than you normally do and WORK OUT!  This is my favorite time of day to work out for a few reasons.  One reason is that I am the only one up in the house, so that means no interruptions from little ones or furry ones.  Another is that I love the feeling of leaving for work, facing my day knowing my workout is already over and done with!  Plus it gives me the added boost of energy I need to get through the day.  Besides, who has the energy to work out after working all day, cooking dinner, cleaning the kitchen, giving baths, bedtime routines, etc  etc???

2 – Shower in the morning (obvious for #1 above).  I used to be a shower at night kind of gal just so I could get that extra 10 minutes of sleep in the morning.  But I found it took me longer to get fully awake and focused without the shower helping me to feel fresh and awake!

3- Make lunches for kids and yourself (and hubby and whoever else) the night before a workday.   This will obviously help shave some time off the morning rush (or as I like to call it – laps around the house).  But it will also help you make wise food decisions as you will have more time to think about it.  Can’t tell you how many times I have thrown something “junky” into the kids’ lunch just because I was rushed and didn’t have time to cut up fruit.  Which leads me to…

4- “Pre” make lunch/snack foods ahead of time.  I usually carve out an hour or so on the weekends to pre make weekday food.  Hubby grills up the chicken for our lunches which I then chop up and put into pre-measured baggies ready to toss into our lunches.  I also chop up all of the veggies, fruit etc and put them into Tupperware so all I need to do when putting lunches together is decide which veggies and fruit I want to use.  I like to use homemade dressing (so much better for you) so I also make up a double batch of that, if I am running low. 

5 – Make freezer meals!!  I am really lucky because hubby cooks dinner a lot of evenings because he gets home before I do.  But…there are many nights where he works late, or has obligations in the evening so I am responsible for dinner.  There is nothing worse than starting to cook dinner at 6pm on a “school night” because that means a late dinner, and late bath, and late bedtime and so on.  So…about once a month I gather a bunch of crock pot/oven recipes and I make up freezer meals.  Basically you prep the meal all the way up until actual cooking time, then toss it all into a gallon size zip lock baggie.  Take a sharpie and write the cooking instructions on the baggie and throw them in the freezer.  The key here is to take out the meal of your choice the night before and let it defrost in the fridge so it is ready to throw in the crock pot before you leave for work (another lifesaver) OR put in the oven when you get home, depending on the recipe.

6- Use your lunch hour to run errands.  This is HUGE for me.  I do not have the time after work to run errands, and my weekends are already crazy as it is, so I utilize my lunch hour as errand time.  I do everything from shopping for birthday party presents, to picking up needed grocery items.  Thankfully my office has a refrigerator, but you can always pack a cooler with ice and leave it in the air-conditioned office.  Whatever you have to do to make it work.

7 – Do one chore every weekday after work.  Do you know the helpless feeling of spending your entire Saturday cleaning the house?  I do and I hate it!!  So what I do is break up my chores and do one of them every night after work.  For example: Mondays I clean the floors, Tuesdays the bathrooms, Wednesdays I dust…etc.  This way each chore takes me less than 10 minutes (except the floors, we have all wood and tile so it takes a while to sweep/mop) and I have a clean house and my Saturdays back J

I hope these tips help you better navigate through the work week, as they have become a saving grace for me.

To your health!

~F2

No comments:

Post a Comment